Monday, March 22, 2010

Boca Grande & Pine Island Sound

Here we go, a full week of fishing here in Boca Grande and the weather is just now starting to improve. I fished with several different anglers from Il, Mo, Nj, Mt, Co, and RI this past week. We were all over the board with Trout, Spanish Macs, Reds, and Snook (that would not bite). Out early in the mornings with the fly anglers poling the boat into 8-9" of water for Tailing Reds. It was very cool to have shots at these sneaky little devils, but not super productive. In addition the weekend boaters did there best to ruin any chance we had by running aground and driving right through the schools of fish we were chasing. Deep breathing and Buddhist meditation were a must, but that is to be expected on the weekends in March here in Boca. Sight fishing for Large Snook and Reds proved to be equally difficult and only a few fish showed interest in the flies we offered them. While looking for Reds south in Pine Island sound we stumbled onto two large Permit. Stay tuned for more on those buggers because as many of you know I spent all of my days off last spring hunting and catching (3) on the fly and the mere sight of them has got the blood flowing and I plan on putting some time in again this spring. The Permit are not a common thing here in Boca, but many of the life long anglers here do know that they exist and are not surprised that I have seen them again this spring. I do however think they would be surprised if I was to land the larger ones on fly. Those of you who know me know that this is not going to deter me from trying...